Easy Ways for Seniors to Save Money on Car Insurance
Choosing the right car insurance policy can be challenging. There are many options, and it can seem overwhelming to choose between one plan and another. Many people overpay for their car insurance policy, not realizing that they can negotiate discounts and save money easily.
When people get older, the risks that come with driving are higher. Car insurance rates start to increase when people are in their 60s and 70s, but that doesn’t mean seniors have to settle for paying higher rates than they are used to. Here are a few ways that seniors can save on a car insurance policy.
Tips for Saving Money on Car Insurance
- Be a member of AAA or AARP. Individual states and car insurance companies work with AARP and AAA to offer discounted car insurance rates for seniors who are members of those organizations. Some members can save 5-10% on their car insurance and receive other benefits like roadside assistance.
- Maintain a safe driving record. Safe drivers of all ages can negotiate discounted car insurance rates because of their reliable driving records. By installing a speed tracker in their cars, seniors could also receive discounted rates to monitor safe driving habits on the road.
- Take a driving class. Drivers of all ages can benefit from a refresher course on the rules of the road. Seniors in Massachusetts get discounted car insurance when they turn 50, while other states offer a driving class to obtain that discount. Senior driving classes go over some everyday situations that seniors face on the road and address concerns like driving at night, how medication can affect driving and more.
- Drive less. Recently retired individuals might see a decrease in their typical mileage if they aren’t commuting to work anymore. Some car insurance policies offer cheaper rates for drivers who don’t rack up a ton of mileage throughout the week. Check with your car insurance policy if the amount you drive changes- you may be overpaying. Some states also offer pay-per-mile car insurance.
- Compare car insurance plans. Everyone should make a habit of getting car insurance quotes and comparing rates at least once a year. You can sometimes negotiate your current car insurance rate even before your policy is up. As you age, there are car insurance deals that specifically apply to seniors that you may qualify for.
Discounted Car Insurance Rates
Some car insurance companies offer discounts to drivers for smaller things, like having a car with airbags and antilock braking. Anti-theft devices can lower your rate, as can having a standard car alarm to deter theft. Individual insurance companies offer discounts for bundling car insurance with other policies, like RV insurance or home insurance.
No matter where you live or how old you are, it’s never too late to practice safe driving habits and save on car insurance at the same time.
To learn more about car insurance for seniors, contact the experts at Your Money Magic at Yourmoneymagic.com. Our licensed professionals will be happy to answer any questions you have.